Email to a Friend
Windows Live Calendar
ScheduleView Series Overview
A premier art exhibit of origami bronze, steel and aluminum sculptures makes its mid-Atlantic debut at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden this spring and summer. Origami in the Garden is an exhibition of larger-than-life outdoor sculpture inspired by the art of paper folding. Santa Fe artist Kevin Box collaborates with his wife, Jennifer Box and origami masters Robert J. Lang, Te Jui Fu, Michael G. LaFosse and Richard L. Alexander to celebrate the art of origami in museum quality sculpture and educational programming.
- 16 vignettes featuring 21 sculptures
- some sculptures are over 7 feet tall; others are small as a mouse
- all are based on prototypes created with origami: one folded sheet of paper, no cuts
- forms are cast in bronze, steel, and aluminum
- artist Kevin Box creates these using a unique process he developed in order to capture the delicate details of paper in museum-quality metals using the lost wax technique
- installed throughout the Garden with many associated activities and programs
- celebrates nature, the “master origami artist,” seen in everything from leaves unfurling to butterflies emerging from a chrysalis
- visit the Garden’s Library to explore four unfolded wall hangings displayed with the four corresponding folded origami pieces
Activities for Families and Children Include:
Origami Folding Station
Stop by this self-guided folding station to try your hand at creating a simple origami form. Take your art with you or leave it to be displayed in the library windows!
Location: Lora M. Robins Library
Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Saturday – Sunday, 1 – 4 p.m.
Paper Airplane Station
Inspired by Folding Planes, fold a simple piece of rectangular paper into your best aerodynamic airplane. Test it out by flying it into one of the targets set up in the Children’s Garden Breezeway.
KidQuest Scavenger Hunt
Go on an origami-themed scavenger hunt throughout the Garden, discovering six sculptures along the way!
Pick up a copy at the Admissions Desk in the Robins Visitors Center.
Cost$13adult/$11senior/$8child age 3-12/under3free
Richmond, VA 23228
Event ContactLewis Ginter Botanical Garden
Phone: (804) 262-9887
Website: Click to Visit